- This event has passed.
SOLD OUT – Thematic Event: Achieving the SDGs – What is the role of sustainable finance & business?
April 27, 18:00 - 21:30
SDGs – Most of us will have used, heard or read about this term many times before. Let’s take a step back and re-examine what exactly the SDGs stand for, whom they address and what their meaning is for sustainable finance & business.
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of the United Nations were agreed upon and adopted by all member states of the United Nations in 2015. They are understood as a blueprint to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all. There are 17 SDGs and a total of 169 targets laying out a path to end extreme poverty, fight inequality and injustice, and protect our planet until 2030. This path is widely known as the ‘Agenda 2030’, which aims to leave no one behind.
The 17 SDGs were originally designed to serve governments and nation states. Despite this, and as we are continuing to see, achieving these goals will require collective action from governments, civil society as well as the private sector. Antonio Guterres, Secretary-General of the United Nations, acknowledged this when declaring the private sector as ‘more important than ever’.
Join us on April 27th at radicant to learn more about the SDGs and what the role of finance and the private sector is in achieving them! We will start off by giving you a refresher on the 17 SDGs and will then hear from a company about how they play their part in working towards them. Then, we will hear more about the role of finance and SDG-aligned investing as well as from inspiring solution providers.
At this event we addressed the following questions:
- What exactly is the purpose of the SDGs? Why were they first introduced?
- Why is the contribution of the private sector so important in achieving the SDGs?
- What is the role of the financial sector in achieving the SDGs?
- What are the huge opportunities for businesses in addressing the SDGs?
- Are they simply a great communications tool for businesses or are they a framework, a blueprint, for affecting sustainable change within an organization?
Thank you to our event partner radicant – a bank deeply rooted in and dedicated to the SDGs.