- This event has passed.
Thematic Event: Sustainable Construction – Buildings Meet the Circular Economy
November 18, 18:00 - 21:30
We spend most of our time inside and depend on buildings to provide these environments for us. However, we have little to no influence over how the buildings we live in are built. So we have to rely on the companies that construct them to consider sustainable practices and innovations.
Unfortunately, sustainability and circular economy aren’t top priorities in the industry yet, as the following numbers demonstrate. Construction…
- is the world’s largest consumer of raw materials with more than 3 billion tons or raw material and almost 50% of global steel production
- is the largest contributor of waste responsible for 84% of the waste in Switzerland
- emits more than 30% and 40% of global and EU GHG emissions respectively
- consumes up to 40% of all energy
This shows why transforming the construction industry will be an important building block in achieving sustainability, and implementing circular models will play a big role in this.
Circularity aims at keeping the value of a material or product in the value chain as high as possible, for as long as possible. It keeps finite natural resources in use and minimises waste. In the building industry, the circular economy drives development of new sustainable materials, reuse of existing materials, innovative building designs, tools and systems and more.
During our event, we will discuss ongoing initiatives and innovations that are being developed in Switzerland. Our speakers will elaborate on what needs to be done to accelerate the transition of the building industry to a circular system, away from the linear model that is largely being used today.
The key questions we will discuss include:
- What are the main barriers to the transition towards a circular economy in the building industry and how can we overcome them?
- How can we reduce the volume of new materials required for construction and maximize the reuse of valuable existing material?
- What are inspiring lighthouse projects and initiatives in Switzerland?
Who this event is for:
- Sustainability professionals
- Professionals looking to learn about important sustainability topics
- Practitioners working in the field of construction or the circular economy
|18:30||Welcome by GreenBuzz|
|Ronny Meglin, Researcher and Lecturer at OST – Ostschweizer Fachhochschule|
|Nicolas Fries, Circular Economy & Innovation at Implenia|
|Patric Van der Haegen, Division Head Development at Eberhard Unternehmungen|
|Thibault Demoulin, Co-Founder and CTO at Oxara|
|Christoph Müller, Acquisition and Planning Consultant – Partner at Zirkular GmbH and Lead Architect at baubüro in situ AG|
|Christina Nakhle, Project Manager at the ETHZ Sustainability in Business Lab|
|20:00 – 21:30||Apero / Buzzing|
This event will follow the ‘GGG’ Covid concept:
At this event we require a Covid certificate from all guests upon entry. Please show the official certificate with QR code and an official ID at the entrance. Information on the certificate or the possibility of reordering can be found here. A certificate from an anti-gene rapid test is valid for 48 hours.The available test locations can be found here.
Please find more information on our Schutzkonzept here.
If you would prefer to register with Twint please follow the instructions here.